Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Michael's Calvin Embodies His Spirit of Adventure

I met Michael back in August out on Penn Plaza and he shared this tattoo, on the upper left side of his chest:


That is, for those who don't know, the comic strip character Calvin, from Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes.
 
Michael is an illustrator and visual artist. He explains this tattoo:

"I’m a Calvin and Hobbes fanatic since I was a kid. I own every single strip. I actually have two of those omnibus hardcover [volumes] and I had gone on a road trip with my father and my 21-year old cousin. 17 states in three weeks. I‘ve always wanted a Calvin tattoo."

The tattoo depicts Calvin as one of his alter-egos, Spaceman Spiff.  The tattoo depicts Calvin, from the cover of Yukon Ho!, in which he runs away with Hobbes to the Yukon. Michael told me that this embodies his spirit of adventure.


The piece was inked by his friend Kyle Sajban at Red Rocket Tattoo in New York City.

We've featured a lot of work from Red Rocket here on this site, but I believe this is the first tattoo attributed to Kyle.

Thanks to Michael for sharing his cool tattoo with us here on Tattoosday!



This entry is ©2011 Tattoosday.


If you are reading this on another web site other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts